WOMEN EMBRACE CAREERS CONSIDERED HERETOFORE AS RESERVED FOR THE MENFOLK


“No career type is reserved for any one category of persons. Women should know and appreciate their capabilities, exploit their talents to the fullest, and learn to love themselves. Only in this way would a satisfying life be possible!”

Caroline Fanta, Security guard
“I have always admired the law-enforcement corps. Their selfless calling to guarantee the safety and security of persons and goods is so inspiring and praise worthy. That is why I set out early in life to serve as one of theirs”, 43-year-old Caroline Fanta muses, looking back at her two-year-old career as a security guard in some major enterprises in Garoua.
The journey thus far has not been all roses though. Born into a large family, the ninth of twelve children, Miss Fanta was obliged to halt her education at the third year of the secondary level, because she was unable to withstand the ill treatment she was subjected to, by her stepmother.
“ I also am laden with the responsibility of taking care of my two children single handedly, all the while offering the little help that I am able to, to my parents and siblings, but I do not, in any way consider that as a burden. All of the trials and challenges I have had to undergo have rather moulded me into the strong and contented woman that I am today,” Caroline declares with pride.
However, that feeling of satisfaction had yet to be replete.
“I never lost sight of my dream of one day serving within the ranks of the forces of law and order. I am firmly believe that dreams, if worked upon, can come true, no matter how long it takes, no matter how old you are. That is why I got myself enrolled into a local security company for a one month-long intensive course, to become a security guard”.
And in this way her career unfolded, with her serving happily alongside her female colleagues in public and Para public structures, such as the electricity and water utility companies, the Garoua Wildlife College, and the North Regional station of the C.R.T.V. where she is, till present.
“Besides the harassment I sometimes am faced with because I am a woman, I am aware I can’t continue within this line of duty indefinitely when the age will eventually begin weighing on my shoulders, but I am determined not to let up until my body tells me to. I hope I still have a long way to go!” she declares passionately.

“I hope other young women emulate my example and pursue their dreams until they attain them. Anyone can take on any career, regardless of the sex. Forge on and I guarantee you it is a decision you will never regret!”


Louisa Akwanka Achatoh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is gift-giving worthwhile during end-of-year festivities?

ILLICIT TRADE IN, AND CONSUMPTION OF PHARMACEUTICAL PRODUCTS POSE A VERITABLE HEALTH HAZARD IN CAMEROON

Wonder Recipes- the Groundnut snack